Lisa Norton, EdD, MA, BS
Areas of Expertise
Culturally Responsive Teaching; DEI and Social Justice in Higher Education; Student Success; Community Engagement; Feminist Scholarship; Chicana Studies; Research Methods; Anti-Racist, Whiteness Studies; Anti-White Supremacist; Trauma Informed Care; Collective Resiliency and Wellness; Youth Mentoring Programs; Unsheltered Community Research
Dr. Norton serves as the Dean of the College of Education and Health Sciences at Touro University California. The college comprises 4 departments including the Graduate School of Education, the Public Health Program, the Physician Assistant Program, and the School of Nursing, comprised of over 500 students in degrees in graduate and professional programs. She started at Touro University California as the inaugural Associate Dean in the College of Education and Health Sciences and was promoted to Dean after a nationwide search ensued when the previous Dean stepped down. Prior to this she served as the Assistant Dean in the College of Education and Health Professions at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock overseeing a Student Success Center and Director of Graduate Student Recruitment and Retention at the University of Texas at San Antonio for 10 years. Her scholarly and professional interests are heavily rooted in student success especially for underrepresented populations in higher education. Her research focuses on Latinas in Educational Leadership and their unique pathways to success, as well as research on Hispanic Serving Institutions. Dr. Norton's research is distinctive in that it is entrenched in post-modern and third space feminist theory and incorporates creative ways to present research in higher education including visual imagery, poetry and prose. She believes diverse citizens and viewpoints are a necessity to creating healthier communities and her and her husband are local activists to fight for social justice and equity for all locally here in Vallejo, CA and Solano County.
- Doctorate in Education Leadership, Focus in Higher Education Administration
University of Texas at San Antonio
- Masters in Art in Psychology, Focus in Social Psychology
San Francisco State University
- Bachelors of Science in Psychology
University of North Texas
Honors and Awards
- PA Received National Diversity Award from PAEA. 2021
- Received Bonus for Commitment and Loyalty to Touro University During COVID-19 crisis. ($3000). 2021.
- Selected for the Leadership Vallejo mentoring program 2017.
- Award for teaching and participating in Dr. Charles W. Donaldson Scholars Academy. Program for underrepresented students in higher education 2015.
- Who’s Who Among Women Worldwide 2012
- Who’s Who Among American College Students 2010, 2012
- Who’s Who Among American Women 2006 and 2007
- Awarded scholarship to attend Advanced Graduate Admissions Professional in Puerto Rico, January 2012
- Awarded scholarship to attend a policy seminar at annual Association of the Study of Higher Education in Las Vegas, NV to discuss research initiatives November 2012
- Inducted into Alpha Chi Honors Society at UTSA for academic achievements
1. Bunker-Alberts, M., Donesky, D., Fisher, E. & Norton, L. (In progress). Health Services and the Project RoomKey COVID-19 Initiative for the Unhoused: A University and Community Partnership. Healthcare for the Poor & Underserved.
2. Norton, L.M. (2021, July). A journey into the lived experiences of Latina graduate students: A feminist and international perspective. A paper presentation at the World Education Research Association. Virtual.
3. Farley, K., Cheng, N. & Norton, L.M. (2021, April). Answering Community Call for Healthcare Student Volunteers under COVID-19 Pandemic. AACOM.
4. Barbour, M. K., Palacios, L.M., Wong, P., & O’Connor, J. (2017, December). Inviting education online: The development of an asynchronous graduate program. A paper presentation at the World Education Research Association Focal Meeting, Hong Kong.
5. Crisp, G., Palacios, L.M. & Kaulfus, J. (May 2013) Programs for Engagement and Enhancement. Institutional Research Handbook.
6. Palacios, L. (2012). Write-up of Advanced Graduate Admissions Professionals Institute. Perspectives Journal.
7. Palacios, L. (2008) Are Graduate Fairs Still Effective Recruitment Tools? National Association of Graduate Admissions Professionals Perspectives Journal.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Western Association of Colleges and Schools. (WASC). Present.
- American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE). Present.
- California Council on Teacher Education (CCTE). Present.
- Education Deans for Justice in Education (EDJE). Present.
- Place Based Justice Network (PBJN). Present.
- Association of Independent Colleges and Universities (AAICU). Present.
- Physician Assistant Education Association. (PAEA). Present.
- World Education Research Association (WERA). Present.
- Association of Institutional Research (AIR). Present.
- American Education Research Association (AERA). Present.
- Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE). Present.
- International Alliance for Invitational Education (IAIE). Present.
- Vallejo Education and Business Alliance (VEBA). Present.
- American Public Health Association (APHA). Present.
- The Global Community for Academic Advising (NACADA). Past.
- Chair of a statewide committee on behalf of ATGS (Association of Texas Graduate Schools) and The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board to plan and evaluate yearly Lone Star Diversity Colloquium. Past
- North Texas Collegiate Consortium (NTCC). Past
- National Association of Graduate Admissions Professionals (NAGAP). Past
- American Marketing Association (AMA). Past
- Texas Association of College Registrar and Admissions Professionals (TXGAP)- Serve on the graduate relations committee in the State of Texas. Past
- Council for Advancement of Colleges. Past
- Alamo City Higher Education Advocacy Organization ACHEA. Past
- Council of Graduate Schools. (CGS) Past.
- Texas Association of Graduate Admissions Professionals (TXGAP) – Co-Chair of Research Committee. Past.
- EDUC 717- Cultural Issues and Competence in Education Pedagogy
- Guest Teaching - Cooperative Learning; Culturally Responsive Teaching; Discourse in Education