Research & Partnerships
Together, we learn.
In our Graduate School of Education, we understand the value of working collaboratively to achieve ends beneficial to all involved.
University-School Partnerships for the Renewal of Educator Preparations (US PREP)
The University-School Partnerships for the Renewal of Educator Preparation (US PREP) National Center provides on-the-ground support and services to a coalition of university-based teacher preparation programs.
The current coalition comprises 26 school-university partners, including Touro University California, with a common mission of attracting, training and retaining high-quality, racially diverse teachers for underserved communities across the country.
Just as teachers skilled in diversity, equity and inclusion practices are central to the success of diverse K-12 students, faculty adept in DEI practices also are key to the development of a diverse and effective pool of educators.
The results of the research will determine the direction of the school of education in developing and adopting a framework of effective practices, including DEI practices.
Diverse Educator Network (DEN)
In the TUC's Graduate School of Education, we are especially interested in this question: How can we increase local teachers of color in our schools?
Students, faculty and others are invited to help answer the question via involvement in our Diverse Educator Network. Meetings schedules vary and new members are always welcomed. If you are interested in helping to answer this question, join our working group meetings! Please email email@example.com to be added to our meeting listserv!
Deep Equity Now
Deep Equity Now, brought to you by The Graduate School of Education (GSOE) at Touro University California (TUC), is a series of informative and courageous conversations about what it means for education to live diversity in our schools today. Our YouTube channel includes all of our past recordings.
PATHS (Pathways to Achievement of Total Health in Students) Mentoring Program
Touro University California has partnered with Kaiser Permanente Vallejo to offer a mentoring program for Vallejo High School students and 7th and 8th graders at Mare Island Health and Fitness Academy. This program is funded with a $614,000 3-year grant from the Sierra Health Foundation Elevate Youth project and focuses on increasing substance abuse education and decreasing substance abuse in the local Vallejo community.
Our Research Agenda
Faculty Research (2020-2021)
- Assessing and Aligning Faculty Practices in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (US PREP Self-Study Research Focus).
- Comparison of Direct Behavior Analytic Services Delivered In-Person and via Telehealth.
- Parent and Service Provider Perceptions of ABA Services Delivered via Telehealth.
- Social Validity Interview for Telehealth ABA Services with Individuals on the Autism Spectrum.
- Equicentricity: From Awareness to Commitment, a Leader’s Journey in Leading for Equity.
Student Research (2020-2021)
- How can I develop a writing environment where students are taught strategies to produce narrative writing that is aligned with CAASPP, meeting the national common core standards.
- Supporting Students’ Research in Middle School.
- Self-Management of Successful Completion for Steps in Task Analyses on Social Skills.
- The use of Functional Communication for Alternative Tangibles as a Replacement for Inappropriate Attention Seeking when Attention is Unavailable.
- The Effect of Behavior Skills Training on Teaching Children with Autism to Initiate and Exchange Conversations in their Daily Lives.
- A Training Module for Teachers to Identify Executive Functioning Difficulties and Develop Strategies to Build Executive Functioning Skills in Their Students.
- Strategies English Language Learners can use to become closer to grade level reading proficiency A training module for expanded learning program staff for implementing culturally responsive teaching methods to middle school students.
- What Secondary Students with Mild to Moderate Disabilities and their Parents/Guardians Need to Know When Transitioning from Secondary to Postsecondary Educational Institutions.
- The Impact of Student Self-Assessment on Learning and Communication in Middle School Mathematics.
- Instructing Self-Determination: A Study on how the Ability to Make Choices Impacts Behavior and Achievement for Transitional Age Students with Severe Autism.
- How can elementary educators implement and execute a formal, in-class GATE program so students can grow beyond grade-level in ELA?
- Language Learning Applications: An inquiry into the effectiveness of Duolingo as a supplemental Spanish language learning tool and investigation into online intermediate language learning for better proficiency.
- Study of the Inequity of Suspension in Schools.
- English Learner Reclassification: A Study of the Inconsistencies between Standardized Test Scores and Grading.
- What are effective teaching strategies for second language vocabulary acquisition and comprehension?
- The Use of Inquiry-Based Methods and Growth Mindset to Improve Middle-School Mathematics Proficiency and Engagement.
- The Effectiveness of Constant Time Delay for Sight Word Competency for Third-Grade Language Learners in the Spanish Dual.
- Strength Based Learning to Improve Student Engagement.
- Using Strengths Curriculum to Improve Student Engagement at a Continuation High School.
- A Teacher Training Module for Executive Functioning Assessments for Elementary Students.
- What Are the Outcomes of Peer Teaching in Math for Second Graders?
- How do teachers internalize what they have learned during professional development and how does that knowledge impact student learning?
- Does cross-curricular instruction using art, engineering/design, and English-Language Arts change student discourse in a first grade class of predominantly Hispanic English Language Learners in a Title I school?
- A Comparative Study of In-Person Classrooms vs. Virtual Classrooms Use of Play-Based Learning Strategies to Increase Communication and Collaboration in First Grade.
- Personal goal setting and fitness tracking tools: What are their impact on student performance within a hybrid-model high school physical education setting?
- Can the Use of Academic Oral Language Strategies with English Learners in a Virtual Setting Improve Their Opportunities for Reclassification to Fluent English Learners?
- A Comparison of Peer Feedback Strategies for the Advanced Placement English Literature Classroom.
- How can we support learning and well-being during Covid for our students with mild/moderate disabilities?
- Can the use of digital platforms enhance the agency and engagement of middle-school Mild to Moderate Special Education students?
- Supporting Students at a Predominantly Latinx Title I Elementary School to Grow Their Self-Agency Through Teacher Professional Development in Universal Design and Technology.
- Equity and training for Paraprofessionals teaching transition students with moderate to severe disabilities How can yoga and meditation practices aid in the cultivation of executive functioning skills in the TK-2 classroom?
- A study of the academic performance of students with learning disabilities at a high-performing middle school site. Academic performance inequity for our students of color in my District.
- Improving Attendance and Engagement: Chronic Absenteeism ad Socio-Economic Status.
- Achievement Gap in Reading Between 4th Grade English Learner students and their peers.
- Restorative Justice versus Suspension and their Effects on African American Students.