For Immediate Release
Contact: Andrea E. Garcia, Touro University California
Associate Vice President, University Advancement
W: (707) 638-5272
C: (707) 280-8771
Touro University California Hits Record Match Rate into Primary Care
(Vallejo, CA – May 9, 2014) – The suspense is over for more than 120 future doctors at Touro University California’s College of Osteopathic Medicine, who were matched in the area they wish to practice for their careers.
A record 68% of this year’s College of Osteopathic Medicine graduates matched into primary care residencies. Additionally, 44% of Touro medical graduates matched to a residency program in California – a total that continues the University’s high match rate in California for the fourth consecutive year (running average is 43.5%). This brings a total 79% of graduates matched in either primary care, in California, or both. Remaining students were matched from Hawaii to Maine, and Washington to Florida.
Ten students were also matched in the Health Professions Scholarship Program of the United States Army, Navy and Air Force.
Adding to primary care, students were matched in various disciplines of medicine, including psychiatry, emergency medicine, radiology, anesthesiology, and general surgery, to name a few.
“We are extremely proud of our students match results for the class of 2014,” said Michael Clearfield, D.O., F.A.C.O.I., and Dean of the College of Osteopathic Medicine. “Once again, we matched 100% with a record setting 64% in primary care residencies. The remaining 36% who matched in non-primary care programs encompassed a full spectrum of specialties.”
A 2014 report by the NRMP notes that “the number of students/graduates of osteopathic medical schools has continued to rise between 2010 and 2014, specifically by 33.9%,” which helps to alleviate future physician shortage.
“We are at the border of a crisis in access to both specialty and primary care physicians, and new physicians will be necessary to eliminate estimated workforce shortage,” said Shelley Berkley, CEO and Senior Provost of the Touro Western Division. “As a result, Touro University California is taking action to ensure we have quality, well-trained physicians to help address the shortage and provide the care patients need.”
The annual “Match” is conducted by the National Matching Service for osteopathic residences and the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) for allopathic residencies – computerized systems that match the preferences of applicants with the preferences of residency programs at U.S. teaching hospitals. This procedure, which attracts thousands of U.S. graduating medical school students, is a competitive process for residency positions in the country.
Students must match to a residency program in order to continue their training of becoming a licensed physician. All Touro University California students were matched with a residency. For more information, contact Andrea E. Garcia at 707-638-5272 or email@example.com.
About the Touro College and University System:
Touro is a system of non-profit institutions of higher and professional education. Touro College was chartered in 1970 primarily to enrich the Jewish heritage, and to serve the larger American and global community. Approximately 18,000 students are currently enrolled in its various schools and divisions. Touro has 35 campuses and locations in New York, California, Nevada, Illinois, Berlin, Jerusalem and Moscow. New York Medical College; Touro University California and Touro University Nevada; Touro University Worldwide and its Touro College Los Angeles division; as well as Hebrew Theological College in Skokie, Ill. are separately accredited institutions within the Touro College and University System. For further information on Touro College, please go to: www.touro.edu/news
Copyright 2005 - 2020, Touro University, All Rights Reserved.