Touro in Vallejo hosts free social justice lecture series
The Vallejo Times-Herald
Beginning Monday, Touro University California hosts its fourth annual Social Justice in Public Health Lecture Series — “an innovative collection of lectures and panel discussions from experts in the field on the public health impacts of migration, immigration and anti-immigration,” organizers announced.
Lectures will occur each Monday until Nov. 26 and are free and open to the public.
The first is an overview on immigration and health care provided by Seth Holmes, an associate professor of Medical Anthropology and Public Health at the University of California at Berkeley and the founding co-chair of the Berkeley Center for Social Medicine. He is also the author of the ground-breaking book “Fresh Fruit, Broken Bodies: Migrant Farm Workers in the United States.”
“TUC’s Public Health Program is dedicated to shedding greater light on current issues, such as how immigration, migration and anti-immigration policies are affecting our communities,” organizers said. “As immigration continues to be an important topic in local and national discourse, this lecture series aims to provide understanding and insight on current policies and areas for improvement that would better serve individuals and families affected.”
All lectures are free and open to the public; however, registration is required. Register at: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/tuc-social-justice-in-public-health-speakers-series-2018-tickets-37284603252.
All lectures are Mondays from 5 to 7 p.m., at Lander Hall Lecture Hall A, on the TUC Campus, 155 Azuar Drive, Mare Island, Vallejo.
Lectures (Schedule and speakers subject to change):
- Oct. 15: Overview — Immigration & Health Care by Dr. Seth Holmes, PhD, MD
- Oct. 22: Impact of Immigration on Mental Health by Laura Lopez and Dr. Leon Bacchues, PhD
- Oct. 29: Immigration Policy & Access to Health Services panel — Ignatius Bau, JD and Michelle Bunker-Alberts, DNP, APN-FNP-BC, IBCLC
- Nov. 5: Immigration, Detention Centers & Human Rights by Isa Noyola and Peggy Bristol, JD
- Nov. 19: Immigration Status, Labor & Health by Dr. Juan Salinas, PhD
- Nov. 26: Solutions: Immigration & Health – Panel – Meileen Acosta, Renae Alvarez and Leoncio Vasquez Santos
Copyright 2005 - 2019, Touro University, All Rights Reserved.