Faculty & Staff at TUC
Department: Public Health Program
Title: Assistant Professor
Phone: (707) 638-5837
Fax: (707) 638-5871
Office: Wilderman Hall, Rm. 408
Professor Burrowes studies the political economy of development assistance for health with a regional focus on sub-Saharan Africa. She has a PhD in Health Services and Policy Analysis from the University of California, Berkeley where her research centered on the politics of development assistance allocation in Malawi.
Before attending the University of California, Berkeley, Dr. Burrowes managed and provided technical assistance for international HIV/AIDS prevention, care, and treatment programs in Burma (Myanmar), Madagascar, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Malawi and Zanzibar for UCSF, Catholic Relief Services, and CARE Australia.
University of California Berkeley: PhD in Health Policy, May 2014
The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University: Master of Arts in Law and Diplomacy, May 1997
University of California at Santa Cruz: Bachelor of Arts, Politics, June 1995
Sahai Burrowes teaches Health Policy and Management, Global Health Economics, and Global Health Policy.
Professor Burrowes’s research interests include: the politics of global health policy making--particularly with regards to task-shifting and reproductive health policies; the sub-national distribution of development assistance for health; and the impact of non-state service providers on state capacity in sub-Saharan Africa.
AidData Kick Starter Award for mapping the growth of community-based health organizations
TUC IRAP grants (2014 & 2016) to study midwives respect for patients' rights during labor and delivery care and patient experiences of cervical cancer diagnosis and treatment in Debre Markos, Ethiopia
Inroads Seed Grant for refining & pre-testing a tool to assess provider abortion stigma in Ethiopia
Mentored Research Award, UC Berkeley, 2011-2012 to map the factors associated the sub-national distribution of development assistance in Malawi
Peer reviewed publications
Burrowes S, Holcombe SJ, Jara D, Carter D, Smith K. Midwives’ and patients’ perspectives
on disrespect and abuse during labor and delivery care in Ethiopia: a qualitative
study. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth. 2017 Aug 22;17(1):263.
Keller, Ann. Chris Ansell, Art Reingold, Mathilde Bourrier, Mark Hunter, Sahai Burrowes, and Theresa MacPhail (2012). Improving Pandemic Response: A Sensemaking Perspective on the Spring 2009 H1N1 Pandemic. Risk, Hazards & Crisis in Public Policy, 3(2), 1–37. doi:10.1515/1944-4079.1101
Burrowes, Sahai and Laurence Peiperl (2007). Selected NGOs Activities in HIV and Web Links, in Paul A. Volberding, et al. eds., Global HIV/AIDS Medicine (Philadelphia, PA: Saunders Elsevier).
Online reporting, curricula and other publications
Ammann, Arthur and Sahai Burrowes. Antiretroviral Treatment, Breast-Feeding, and Mother-to-Child Transmission of HIV. UCSF Center for HIV Information. June 2006.<http://womenchildrenhiv.org/wchiv?page=tp-02-02 >
Ammann, Arthur and Sahai Burrowes.Prevention of Mother-to-Child Transmission of HIV in Resource-Limited Settings: A Training Course. UCSF Center for HIV Information, February 2006.
- “Interventions to Prevent Mother-to-Child Transmission of HIV” <http://womenchildrenhiv.org/wchiv?page=md-module&mod=03>
- “Follow-Up Care and Treatment for the HIV-Exposed or HIV-Infected Child” <http://womenchildrenhiv.org/wchiv?page=md-module&mod=05>
- “HIV Counseling and Testing for Pregnant Women” (with Nancy Paradis) <http://womenchildrenhiv.org/wchiv?page=md-module&mod=02 >
Burrowes, Sahai. A Synthesis of Social, Behavioral, and Economic Research Studies on HIV Infection and AIDS Conducted in Myanmar , HIV/AIDS Project and Human Development Initiative Project, UNDP, UNOPS, June 20, 1998. Manuscript available at: http://hivinsite.ucsf.edu/pdf/cr08-bm-04.pdf
- Member, American Public Health Association
- Member, American Political Science Association
- Member, Association of African Studies
- Member, AidData Research Consortium
- Editorial Board, UCSF’s “Women Children and HIV”
- Chancellor’s Fellowship for Graduate Study, UC Berkeley, 2007-2009
- UC San Francisco Tier Two Staff Appreciation and Recognition (STAR) Award, 2005
- Fellowship, Catholic Relief Services International Development Fellows Program, 1999-2000
- International Fellowship, International Foundation for Education & Self-Help, 1997-1998
Copyright 2005 - 2017, Touro University, All Rights Reserved.