What would you do in a Disaster?
On October 11, 2015, medical, premedical, EMT, PA, and nursing students from all around the SF Bay Area gathered and attended the inaugural Bay Area EMIG Symposium hosted by Touro University California, College of Osteopathic Medicine Emergency Medicine Interest Group. The EM Symposium was designed to provide health care profession students with practical information about current practices, career planning, and the inter-professional environment relative to emergency medicine. The symposium format included didactic lectures, smaller group breakout sessions, speaker panels, and interactive sessions. The event included:
- Keynote speaker Dr. Barbie Barrett, MD, ER Physician at Mills Peninsula Medical Center and Clinical Associate Professor, Division of Emergency;
- Medicine Department of Surgery Stanford University Medical Center and Lucile Salter Packard Children’s Center;
- Speaker: Commander David Lipin, DMAT CA-6, San Francisco Bay Area Disaster Medical Assistance Team;
- EM Career Panel: Dr. Gene Hern, MD, Highland Hospital, Dr. Robert M. Duvoisin, DO, Mercy Redding, Daniel Gensler, EMT, Verlyn Ongjoco, U.S. Navy RN;
- Disaster Scenario Panel: Keither A. Porter, PhD and Michael Modrich, Solano County Public Health RN;
- OMM in the ER: Dr. Wesley Lockhart, DO at Touro University Nevada, and the Student American Academy of Osteopathy;
- Wilderness Emergency Medicine Club: S.D. James McKinney and S.D. Alex Peterson;
- Suturing: Dr. Stephanie Simon, DO, and the Student Osteopathic Surgical Association;
- Ultrasound: Dr. Abraham Pera, DO, and the Touro Medical Imaging Club;
- Airway Management: Dr. Nate Van Dyke, MD;
- Intraosseous Line Placements: Dr. Alissa Farrell, DO and the Pediatric Club;
- Emergency Transportation: Medic Ambulance;
- Grand Finale: REACH, Air Medical Services
The EM Symposium provided a unique opportunity to bring together students in the health care profession who share a common interest in emergency medicine. The symposium also provided the chance for students to network with professionals already in the field and learn about skills commonly used in emergency medicine.
Bay Area EM Symposium Committee
Student Doctors: Katie Maltester, Kyle Meggison, Eric Leung, Geoffrey Luecker, Vicki Hsieh, Frank Tarn, Matea Orlovic, Benfie Liu, James McKinney, Marissa Haberlach, Daniel Sadoma, Andrew Gabriel, Yassmin Atefi
Touro Club Liaisons
Student Doctors: Michael Hsu, Naomi Stewart, Matthew Ortega, Alex Peterson, Arpita Sinha, Andrew Gabriel
Student Doctors: Zachary Flaming, Navjit Dullet, Yasamin Ahmadieh, Robin So, Ariel Takayanagi, Kelsey Negherbon
Copyright 2005 - 2019, Touro University, All Rights Reserved.